EXCEL is designed to assist in the development of community leadership skills that will improve community, both economically and socially. The goal is to prepare residents of Randolph County to effectively address local issues and concerns – both present and future.
EXCEL also provides opportunities to:
- develop as a leader that understands cultural values and their impact on the people of the community
- cultivate leadership skills in areas such as public speaking, chairing a group and preparing and presenting reports.
- enhance skills in facilitating group decisions by formation of effective questions, sharing information, proposing tasks, etc.
- analyze and describe current economic, political and social situations in the community
- identify and understand internal and external forces that affect community conditions
- develop a network of people with common interests with the community
- join a group of well-informed people capable of assuming leadership responsibilities in the community
Topic areas covered in the EXCEL program include:
- Leadership Development
- Economics of the Community
- Approaches of Economic Development
- Community Analysis and Planning
- Local and State Government
- Health Care
- Population Profiles and Trends
- Social Services
- Technology and Telecommunication
- Issue Identification
- Action Planning
- Community Infrastructure
EXCEL utilizes a variety of instructional methods including:
- Simulations and Exercises
- Team Building Retreat
- Problem-solving Methods
- Community Study Tour
- Business Tours
- Lecture / Discussion Groups
- Special Assignments
- Reading Assignments
EXCEL Instructors are drawn from experts and leaders from community sources where they are actively engaged in their areas of expertise.
Meeting Times and Locations
The EXCEL class meets approximately every two weeks over a period of 6 months. Meeting locations vary. While most occur at locations within Randolph County, some sessions are held outside of the county and the even the state.
Participants are expected to engage in the learning process and to share their own knowledge and expertise with their classmates. Attendance at a weekend retreat and community study tour is mandatory.
The schedule for the current class is available here.
Cost to Participate
The cost to operate the EXCEL program is shared between classmates, local businesses, past participants and individuals that donate both time and money to the endeavor. This helps to keep the tuition fee each participant to $400.
EXCEL is open to people who live and work in Randolph County. Class size is limited to ensure the opportunity for each person to have a quality learning experience.
Applying for EXCEL
Applications may be obtained by clicking this link, by visiting the MU Extension office located at 509 West Reed Street in Moberly or the Moberly Chamber of Commerce office or, by sending an email to email@example.com. Additional contact methods are available at www.excelerandolphcounty.org.
Completed applications should be returned to the MU Extension office or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $50 deposit is required for your application to be processed.
Applications are due September 1st, 2018 and selected participants will be notified by September 8th, 2018.
The program begins at 6:00pm on September 24th, 2018.